The SLSG’s “Advancing your Game Webinar Series” will be offered throughout the year to sport leaders. Webinar topics have included good governance, leadership development, strategic planning, business planning, event management and marketing, legal issues, social media, and communications.
Each webinar is hosted by one or more members of the SLSG on a topic of importance to the Canadian sport community.
We have four webinars scheduled:
February 22nd – Social Media with Colleagues ($40)(POSTPONED)
- March 29th – Emergency Preparedness Planning for Sport Events ($40)
- April 26th – Financial Literacy for Staff, Volunteers, and Board Members ($40)
- May 31st – Employees, Contractors, and Volunteers – From Hiring to Firing ($40)
You can register for each webinar below.
February 22nd @ 12:00pm EST – Social Media with Colleagues
We have postponed this webinar until the spring
This webinar will discuss the risks of texting and connecting with your colleagues on social media. Kevin Lawrie will explain what’s happening when we communicate by text and social media and how we lack the regular communication cues that exist in face-to-face conversations. If you’ve ever noticed that you are far more personal when you text a work colleague (or a fellow volunteer or Board member) versus when you email that same person, this webinar will help you understand what’s going on and why – and how to avoid saying something that might get you in trouble.
Topic areas will also include the risks and challenges of this type of communication, our roles and the authority dynamic, what it means to communicate “hyperpersonally”, problems with ‘oversharing’, and why our “sport” context (rather than “business” context) may put us at even greater risk.
March 29th @ 12:00pm EDT – Emergency Preparedness Planning for Sport Events
Whether your event is an individual or team event, held on a field, court, road, slope, water or other surface, and whether it is big or small in scope, you need to be prepared for potential emergencies that can negatively impact your event. A dangerous risk or impending situation can lead to distraught participants, poor decision making, physical or reputational damage, or serious harm. Investing in event safety through a plan is the key to preparing for and responding to emergencies.
Hosted by Jason Robinson, an event risk management specialist for the Sport Law & Strategy Group, this webinar will explore the Emergency Preparedness Plan, which is your organization’s formal commitment to mitigating potential emergencies. Jason will share his recent industry work, discuss the framework for an effective plan, and help you achieve the following:
- A calm and measured response to a serious incident
- The transfer of an injured participant to qualified medical personnel, treatment, and support as seamlessly as possible
- The prevention of any ‘snowball’ effect whereby one incident/injury occurs and results in another, or multiple incidents
- Your event is minimally disrupted and continues safely
- Positive affirmation occurs between staff, partners, participants, potential media and other stakeholders
April 26th @ 12:00pm EDT – Financial Literacy for Staff, Volunteers and Board Members
This webinar will seek to demystify the accounting process and begin to provide some clarity around understanding financial statements. Kathy Hare will discuss some of the basic terminology and processes used in financial management, define the legal and fiduciary responsibilities as they relate to Boards of Directors, and walk through a basic set of financial statements. Anyone who has the responsibility of managing the finances of a sport organization or is on a Board of Directors should register for this webinar to ensure they have an understanding of expectations and requirements in this area.
Kathy Hare has an extensive background in bookkeeping and accounting with over 18 years of experience working with a wide variety of NSOs, PSOs, and community sport organizations.
May 31st @ 12:00pm EDT – Employees, Contractors, and Volunteers – From Hiring to Firing
Steve Indig will present an employment webinar that will interest any employer or employee in sport. This webinar will aid organizations and individuals in understanding the legal issues relating to hiring practices, screening, agreements, and termination. Registrants will gain an understanding of the legal tests used to determine an individual’s employment status and the associated negatives and benefits.
Our previous webinars have focused on the following themes:
- **What to Watch in 2017 (SLSG team)
- **Managing Risks: Your New Year’s Resolution (Dina Bell-Laroche, Jason Robinson, & LeeAnn Cupidio)
- Covering Your Ass(ets): What You Need to Know About Insurance (Rachel Corbett ft. Nancy Au)
- Marketing Makeover: A Live Sponsorship Proposal Critique (Jason Robinson)
- How Integral Coaching© Can Support Sport Leaders (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- Legal Compliance for Ontario-based Sport Organizations (Steve Indig & LeeAnn Cupidio)
- Tips and Guidelines for Selecting Your Athletes to Major Games (Rachel Corbett & Steve Indig)
- Risk Management Auditing for Sport Events (Jason Robinson)
- Positive Change Management (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- Human Resource Management – Avoiding the Pitfalls (Kathy Hare & Steve Indig)
- Sponsorship – Identifying and Selling your Properties (Jason Robinson)
- Risk Management (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- The NFP Act – Aftermath (Rachel Corbett & Steve Indig)
** Indicates recording of the webinar is available. Please contact email@example.com to discuss obtaining webinar recordings.