The SLSG’s “Advancing your Game Webinar Series” will be offered throughout the year to sport leaders. Webinar topics have included good governance, leadership development, strategic planning, business planning, event management and marketing, legal issues, social media, and communications.
Each webinar is hosted by one or more members of the SLSG on a topic of importance to the Canadian sport community.
We have three webinars scheduled:
- April 27th – Financial Literacy for Staff, Volunteers, and Board Members ($40)
- May 31st – Employees, Contractors, and Volunteers – From Hiring to Firing ($40)
- June 20th – Cyber Risks: The New Kid on the Block ($40)
You can register for each webinar below.
April 27th @ 12:00pm EDT – Financial Literacy for Staff, Volunteers and Board Members
This webinar will seek to demystify the accounting process and begin to provide some clarity around understanding financial statements. Kathy Hare will discuss some of the basic terminology and processes used in financial management, define the legal and fiduciary responsibilities as they relate to Boards of Directors, and walk through a basic set of financial statements. Anyone who has the responsibility of managing the finances of a sport organization or is on a Board of Directors should register for this webinar to ensure they have an understanding of expectations and requirements in this area.
Kathy Hare has an extensive background in bookkeeping and accounting with over 18 years of experience working with a wide variety of NSOs, PSOs, and community sport organizations.
May 31st @ 12:00pm EDT – Employees, Contractors, and Volunteers – From Hiring to Firing
Steve Indig will present an employment webinar that will interest any employer or employee in sport. This webinar will aid organizations and individuals in understanding the legal issues relating to hiring practices, screening, agreements, and termination. Registrants will gain an understanding of the legal tests used to determine an individual’s employment status and the associated negatives and benefits.
June 20th @ 12:00pm EDT – Cyber Risks: The New Kid on the Block
Join Rachel Corbett of SLSG and Nancy Au of Pearson Dunn Insurance/A Jones Brown Company to learn more about cyber risks. 2016 was a banner year for internet hacking and cyber theft, and this threat is not going away any time soon. Even though sport organizations may not have millions of records stored on their servers (like Yahoo or Amazon) and may not be the keepers of highly sensitive data (like the World Anti-Doping Agency), this is a risk area that now demands every sport leader’s attention. Even a small hacking job can contaminate your computers and the computers of others, cause privacy breaches, and disrupt your normal operations. These costs add up. Join us to learn more about cyber risks and what you can do to prevent them and, if unpreventable, pay for them.
July TBD – Social Media with Colleagues
We have postponed this webinar until the spring
This webinar will discuss the risks of texting and connecting with your colleagues on social media. Kevin Lawrie will explain what’s happening when we communicate by text and social media and how we lack the regular communication cues that exist in face-to-face conversations. If you’ve ever noticed that you are far more personal when you text a work colleague (or a fellow volunteer or Board member) versus when you email that same person, this webinar will help you understand what’s going on and why – and how to avoid saying something that might get you in trouble.
Topic areas will also include the risks and challenges of this type of communication, our roles and the authority dynamic, what it means to communicate “hyperpersonally”, problems with ‘oversharing’, and why our “sport” context (rather than “business” context) may put us at even greater risk.
Our previous webinars have focused on the following themes:
- **Emergency Preparedness Planning for Sport Events (Jason Robinson)
- **What to Watch in 2017 (SLSG team)
- **Managing Risks: Your New Year’s Resolution (Dina Bell-Laroche, Jason Robinson, & LeeAnn Cupidio)
- Covering Your Ass(ets): What You Need to Know About Insurance (Rachel Corbett ft. Nancy Au)
- Marketing Makeover: A Live Sponsorship Proposal Critique (Jason Robinson)
- How Integral Coaching© Can Support Sport Leaders (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- Legal Compliance for Ontario-based Sport Organizations (Steve Indig & LeeAnn Cupidio)
- Tips and Guidelines for Selecting Your Athletes to Major Games (Rachel Corbett & Steve Indig)
- Risk Management Auditing for Sport Events (Jason Robinson)
- Positive Change Management (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- Human Resource Management – Avoiding the Pitfalls (Kathy Hare & Steve Indig)
- Sponsorship – Identifying and Selling your Properties (Jason Robinson)
- Risk Management (Dina Bell-Laroche)
- The NFP Act – Aftermath (Rachel Corbett & Steve Indig)
** Indicates recording of the webinar is available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss obtaining webinar recordings.